Max Horn wrote:
E.g. take the example of 5.0-RC1 followed by 5.0. What do you propse should be done here to make it debian version compliant? 4.99999 and 5.0 ? or 5.0 and 5.0a ? Or what? None of them seems appealing to me. Both can potentially conflict with actual version of the package (e.g. they might really release a 5.0a some times after to fix something).

What I normally do is munge the release, which is the "least significant bit".

So I would make it 5.0-0rc1.1

If I had to make another release, it's 5.0-0rc1.2

Then when final comes out, it becomes 5.0-1.