At 17:38 Uhr -0500 04.03.2003, Kyle Moffett wrote:
On Tuesday, Mar 4, 2003, at 09:01 US/Eastern, Benjamin Reed wrote:
Max Horn wrote:
E.g. take the example of 5.0-RC1 followed by 5.0. What do you propse should be done here to make it debian version compliant? 4.99999 and 5.0 ? or 5.0 and 5.0a ? Or what? None of them seems appealing to me. Both can potentially conflict with actual version of the package (e.g. they might really release a 5.0a some times after to fix something).

What I normally do is munge the release, which is the "least significant bit".

So I would make it 5.0-0rc1.1

If I had to make another release, it's 5.0-0rc1.2

Then when final comes out, it becomes 5.0-1.

Here is something I have seen done with Debian. It makes less sense than your proposal, but it is useful to know about.

foo-4.9999.rc6
foo-4.9999.rc7
foo-5.0

Uh this is exactly the abusive notation I mentioned above. It would mean using a completly different version than upstream. With Ben's suggestion at least it looks identical if you don't look to closely... So users will know what it is, instead of complainging "why don't you have a package for 5.0-rc7".

Max