Max Horn wrote:
But my motivation to agree to this is most definitely not due to what the debian policy says. We are not debian! Sure we can look at how they do things, and if we like it, do it the same way, but I feel in no way bound to this. In particular, they ask to avoid epochs as much as possible, with no reason given (that I could find, please quote to prove me differently, would be much appreciated). The only reason given was by Kyle and others, which is that Epochs have to stay around the whole life time of a package... now, how is that a problem? I honestly don't see how it is a problem, so any explanation would be much appreciated, too.

The reason I see it as a problem is just as a usability issue. Packagers will know what version 1:3.0.2-4 means, but regular users won't.