David R. Morrison wrote:
[]
Martin, I'd like to understand this situation better.  Are there specific
libraries which have been updated for 4.3?  Were the updates done in a
properly versioned manner?  If so, then packages which are compiled under
4.3 will link to the new versions, and packages compiled under 4.2 will
link to the old versions.  So long as we keep the different versions in
separate fink packages, a smooth transition should be possible.

Here is, for example, a list of libraries in 4.3.0 that aren't in 4.2.1

/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libOSMesa.4.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libXcursor.1.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libXft.2.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libXft.2.1.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libXrandr.2.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libXrender.1.2.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libXv.1.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libexpat.1.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libfontconfig.1.0.dylib
/usr/X11R6_4.3.0/lib/libfreetype.6.3.dylib

Some of them are higher versions (Xft, Xrandr, Xrender, freetype), and the others must correspond to new APIs which I don't know anything about.

The updated ones are done in a proper manner, so that compatibility is guaranteed in one direction, at least.
But I suspect that as soon as you start compiling things under 4.3.0, there will be conflicts of the libpng/libpng3 variety (one version of library loaded directly, another one indirectly -> crash)
Then, as has been detected from the case of pango, some headers have disappeared in 4.3.0. Others are new in 4.3.0.