Hi,

Recode 3.6-6 does not have a maintainer, so I sent this to the list. It
seems that recode 3.6-6 is not linked correctly, and if you want to link
against it (-lrecode), you will get the message:

ld: Undefined symbols: _error

Apparently, this symbol is in libreco.a, which is created (but not
installed) during the built of recode 3.6

There is a fix for this problem, albeit for FreeBSD (not Mac OS X), which
patched the recode library:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mbr/patches/committed/patch-php+recode.diff
(URL found in PHP bug report http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=13636 )

I think this bug will have caused the error, mailed to this list in august
2002 (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1915695); note
that I have come across more problems with recode 3.6-6 on fink-users and
fink-devel. Maybe it should go to unstable?

Here is a short test program for recode, taken from the PHP configure
script:

/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char recode_format_table();

int main() {
recode_format_table()
; return 0; }

Try to compile with:
gcc -o recodetest -g -no-cpp-precomp -L/sw/lib recodetest.c -lintl -lrecode

With kind regards,
Freek Dijkstra