I started creating some fink packages that I may eventually try to have
distributed, and I recently had the extremely unpleasant experience of
having a "fink build" command write a whole bunch of files to the fink
tree (not the /sw/src/package-root directory, as it was supposed to).
It turns out that the package respected configure --prefix=/sw but not
make install prefix=/sw/src/package-root, so it happily installed a bunch
of files to /sw and none to /sw/src/package-root.

This could be fixed if I could use fink without becoming root.  I'd like
to do something like:
fink build --non-root --workdir=/Users/novak/fink package
Then fink would (without becoming root) use /Users/novak/fink as a working
directory instead of /sw/src.  If I haven't got  the .info file correct
yet, the package will try to install itself to /sw, but it'll fail with
error messages and I can easily play with the .info file until it's right.

I thought I could do this by setting RootMethod: none in fink.conf, and
making /sw/src writeable by all users.  However, fink very politely
refuses to do anything at all if it's not root.  Not what I was shooting
for...

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions.  This must be a common problem.  How
do people handle it?

Thanks,
Greg