On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 01:53:34PM +0100, Max Horn wrote:
> >You don't disable a failing test.  You either fix the bug, fix the
> >test or
> >post a bug report and set TODO (see t/Command/failure.t for examples).
>
> So far that particular test failed twice for me when in fact everything
> was working fine. Hence I disabled it. I didn't have the time to fix it
> properly. Next time I'll add a FIXME comment to it.

Please either just leave it failing so somebody will get around to
fixing it or set a TODO wrapper around it as illustrated in
t/Command/failure.t.  Or fix it.  Or spend a little time looking at it and
ask the last guy that touched the function to have a look as I did.

FIXME comments don't get fixed.  Squelched tests never get fixed either.
Loud failing tests do.  The point of a failing test is to get noticed
and cause the developers to take action.

> >Plop that in, rerun the tests and... still broken.  No version
> >returned.  This is a new behavior.  Was it intentional?  I dunno.
> >get_perl_arch_dir() has no docs.
>
> The old behavior was wrong, and the old test was written simply so that
> it matches the behavior of the (incorrect, buggy) code, not to match
> the (non-existent :-) spec.

That's fine.  Fix the test and document the function.  The developers have
take the time to maintain the test suite and docs *on the fly* else they
won't get maintained.

Don't kid yourself, nobody ever has time for docs and tests.  You'll never
it as spending time writing tests and docs.  Think of it as spending time
improving get_perl_arch_dir().  If it had proper tests and docs maybe we
wouldn't have had to change it four times in the last week.

> >Dave?  What should the behavior of get_perl_arch_dir when Type is
> >"perl"
> >with no version?
>
> Then perldir is empty. To quote David from an earlier mail:
> "For backwards compatibility, the first kind continued to be stored in
> /sw/lib/perl5 and /sw/lib/perl5/darwin while the second kind used
> /sw/lib/perl5/5.x.y and /sw/lib/perl5/5.x.y/darwin."

Since you seem to know the function better than I do could you write up
some get_perl_arch_dir() docs and write up the proper test?

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
I'm not actually Kevin Lenzo, but I play him on TV.