OK, there are a few general points about naming.  (I'm not sure exactly how
they apply to this case.)

Once you've named a shlibs package, you should stick with that name until
the next time there is an upgrade which is not backward-compatible.
Even after changing to a new non-backward-compatible version, you need
to keep the "old" shlibs package around indefinitely (for the sake of
anything that is linked to it).

So, for example, if mysql needs an update to mysql12-shlibs, then we still
need a mysql-shlibs package (built with the old version) to stay around.

The naming "policy" should never be interpreted to mean that a name of
an existing package should be changed to conform to policy.  When you
introduce a new package, or a binary-incompatible new version of a
package, then please do use the fooN-shlibs convention, but don't make
this change just for the sake of conformity to policy.

Remember that the Shlibs field in a -shlibs package amounts to a promise
by the maintainer that the libraries listed in Shlibs will always be
available in the package whose name is mentioned in the Shlibs field.

As I say, I'm not sure how all of this applies to the current case.  Since
you've now introduced mysql12-shlibs as well as mysql-shlibs, it seems
to me that you'll need a new package which simply creates "mysql-shlibs"
using the old version of the source.

  -- Dave