On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:16:25PM -0500, James Gibbs wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2004, at 5:34 PM, Kevin Horton wrote:
> >
> >I think the average user would hope for a continual stream of new
> >packages, which means you need people to keep feeding the package
> >tracker with new submissions.  However, there doesn't seem to be very
> >many resources available to keep the package tracker moving. It can
> >take so long to get a response to a submission that I suspect many
> >submitters would get frustrated and decide that he was wasting his
> >time trying to help out.
>
> I agree. It is hard to get people to do this continuously, but several
> people do it. benh57 did quite a lot at one point (and is still doing a
> lot), then chris01 and dmacks started doing a lot. But they have their
> own packages (and lives) and sometimes get too busy to do it.

*blush*

I concur with what you said (having been a frustrated submitter for a
while, and now a CVS committing person).

Okay, so here's my thoughts and personal experience...

It's also (for me and at least IMO) an annoyance with how the tracker
is set up. At least for submissions, it is used primarily as a two-way
conversation (though one party is "the fink folks"). But SF trackers
seem more tuned to group discussions. It's pretty daunting for me to
say "I've got a few minutes, I'll clear some tracker items" and then
have to wade through a number of ones that are waiting for the
submitter to fix something or seem to be already a work-in-progress
with someone else in order to find ones that have yet to be dealt
with. I don't see a way to signal this status info, nor a way to sort
by last-updated date (to see what's been waiting for *something* to
happen for a while). So instead I wind up picking things that are
personally interesting or are relatively simple, and complicated
(-looking or -sounding) things languish.

Also, the machine where I test 10.3 packages was down for a while, and
I'm pretty anal about trying things before committing. As part of
this, I got annoyed by some things about fink itself, so I got
involved in hacking the package manager.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]