David R. Morrison wrote:

Dear fink developers,

I'd like to get some other opinions on the following question.

As I understand the GPL, if we distribute binaries of GPL'd software over
the web, we must also make the corresponding source available by the web
(unless we are willing to respond to requests sent to us by users, which
I don't think we want to get into).

The question is, what time interval do we need to respect here?

[....]

If you distribute the source in a bundle with the binary, you
don't need to make the source available separately.

If you distribute binaries only, you need to make available
the sources (matching the exact version of the binary) for
3 years.

That's why most (large) Linux distros to ship the sources on
additional media.

Cheers,
Kurt