Daniel Macks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]
> For those playing along at home: previously and since the dawn of
> splitoffs, :SplitOff:Package: was being evaluated in the scope of the
> parent (so %n was that of the parent) while the rest of SplitOff: was
> evaluated in its own scope. That means %n has different meanings in
> different parts of a SplitOff. When I shuffled around and consolidated
> some of the Package and PkgVersion object creation code, I didn't
> propagate this behavior. All of SplitOff: is now evaluated in its own
> scope, so 'Package: %n-dev' would be recursive.

Hi Dan.  I've just discovered a problem with this.

If you haven't done a self-update since the %n changes were made in the
package database, then you cannot update your copy of fink.

The reason is that "fink index" is run in post-install, and if those
residual packages with %n are still there, the new fink dies on fink index.

The solution would be to still parse %n and generate a big fat warning
instead of fink dying.

  -- Dave