Daniel E. Macks wrote:

Corey Halpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

In working with my packages, I've written a little script that uses otool -L and dpkg -S to figure out what my package needs to depend on.

Good idea. This approach gives packages that need not be specified
explicitly (if they are dependencies of dependencies) but this gives a
good starting point.

Yeah. A starting point was all I was looking for. There's never going to be an automated way to verify that a package depends on all the right things, there are just too many ways to depend. You could call out to a program (from a script, or with some fork/exec from a program), you could do a perl "use" (or the same thing in your interpreted language of choice) , you could need to open a config file from another package...
But if you have a binary that isn't statically linked, you'll be able to tell what it links to. There should be an automated way to make sure that the dependence tree rooted in your package does contain everything your binaries link to.
I think. :-)

> *snip*
Someone on -devel or #fink (perhaps jfm?) has a giant shell pipeline
version of this (and that covers a lot of weird corner cases), that I
encapsulated as fink-dep-check in my experimental dir.

Cool. It didn't occur to me to look for (and through) people's experimental directories.
If I were looking for your experimental dir, would I be able to find it in cvs somewhere? Or does it just live in your sandbox on your machine?

thank you,
crh