As the new bindist approaches, I would like to update the pathsetup script. It seems to me that it has done OK so far - there are very few complaints about PATH issues and shell startup scripts nowadays, at least compared to the situation before the pathsetup script existed. Therefore I don't want to change anything dramatically.

There have been two complaints about the script that I would like to address in the new version:

1. It doesn't provide a check whether init.[c]sh exists before executing it, thus making the shell startup scripts break when Fink is uninstalled. This can be fixed trivially as has been discussed here already, by replacing the line

   . /sw/bin/init.sh
by
   test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh

or similar.

2. The current version of /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh uses Finder dialog popup windows and therefore can be run only by the user currently logged in at the console. It would be more useful to have a pathsetup.sh that can be run in a command window, hence also remotely via ssh or via su.

Such a CLI version of pathsetup.sh is now in my exp directory. Please test.

Since the pathsetup script run by the Fink installer and the pathsetup.app that comes on the Fink installer dmg should still use Finder dialog popup windows, this would mean that /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh and pathsetup.app/Contents/MacOS/pathsetup would no longer be identical and the installer should run the latter.

A couple of lines in some scripts in scripts/installer would have to be be edited to take this into account. In particular, scripts/installer/buildpkg.sh and scripts/installer/resources/postflight would need to be changed. I am not sure if any changes in the documentation would be needed.

Comments? Other suggestions for improvements?