On Sep 21, 2004, at 1:06 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

Trevor Harmon wrote:
I'm packaging an application that requires Java's jar utility at build time (but not runtime). So, I'd like to specify whatever BuildDepends flag that maps to the jar utility. This is where I'm stuck, because there are packages called system-java14 and system-java14-dev (as well the 13 and 15 counterparts), but there is no explanation of the differences between them (at least, no explanation I could in the Fink docs or by searching Google). FinkCommander shows no package descriptions for them. Anybody know where I can find details on exactly what these packages provide? Thanks,

It should be safe to BuildDepend on system-java14. Currently, the way it figures out whether you have the dev packages installed is by checking for the existence of JNI headers. The Apple (non-dev) java package includes the jar utility, so it should be safe to assume if system-javaXX is there, jar is there.

Okay, that's what I expected; I just wanted to make sure. For future reference, how were you able to confirm this? I knew that they were virtual packages, but surely there must still be some way of knowing exactly what they provide, whether it is just a collection of other packages or whatever.

Trevor