This has come up a couple of times recently: People do selfupdate, even selfupdate-cvs, but they don't get updated because of an old version of fink that doesn't understand the upgrade path. There were instructions on the lists each time, but they are lost in the archives.

What is worse, there is actually a FAQ entry, but it is 2 years old. On the bug tracker there is a current case (#1073405) of someone who got stuck at fink-0.17.1-1 and who downgraded now to fink-0.11.1-1, apparently by following this FAQ entry. It is FAQ#5.22 "I can't seem to update Fink's version" with a link to "special instructions" at http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/fix-upgrade.php.

Nothing there tells that this is from early Jaguar age and shouldn't be followed by people who have Panther installed (nor by anyone else who hasn't fink circa 0.11/0.12 installed).

I think this needs to be fixed soon. It is perhaps sufficient to replace 0.5.3 by 0.7.1-updates and 0.11.1-10 by 0.22.4-1 in these instructions, but Dave would know better, having written some of these instructions on the lists recently.