On Jan 20, 2005, at 10:07 PM, Daniel Macks wrote:

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:58:25PM -0600, Chris Dolan wrote:

... Once these are accepted to Fink, you can simply add Depends: date-calc-pm580 | date-calc-pm581 | date-calc-pm584 to your package.

Seems like that's just asking for trouble. If I have two perl versions installed and date-calc-pmXXX in only one of them, how do you know the perl your pkg happens to use is the one that has Date::Calc? You are (re)creating a "date-calc-pm placeholder" package, a practice we abolished (in practice, and by at-least-unofficial policy).

Good point. I had not realized that pflogsumm was a perl program itself. In that case, it MUST be %type_pkg[perl] versioned to sync with date-calc-pm%type_pkg[perl]. I should have realized that...

This does raise an interesting (but irrelevent to pflogsumm) question. How should a non-perl package depend on a versioned perl package? Does the non-perl package need to depend on a particular version of perl, say 5.8.1? Does it then need to explicitly call perl5.8.1 when invoking its dependent libraries?

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)