Jean-François Mertens wrote:

On 04 Feb 2005, at 23:03, Ben Hines wrote:

All of fink needs to be built with this patch before releasing this. We've never audited this policy, my guess is a lot of stuff will break.

If I understand correctly, this means we start implementing Max Horn's old proposal
to really distinguish RunTimeDepends from BuildDepends.
I fully agree with Ben here _ we have to do it once, but if implemented this way it'll
break about everything, and even by rebuilding once the whole of fink with this, we'll
discover only a very small fraction of the problems _ because we'll have tested only one build-path..

Could we not think of having a script go through all packages, using something like
current show-deps (build-dep part), to complete the BuildDeps of each pkg ?
Maintainers can afterwards refine the BuiildDeps, and remove anything superfluous .

We could as well start by copying all the contents of all Depends fields into the BuildDepends fields.

I may be misunderstanding something basic here, but outside of the perlmod packages which I don't know, I don't see many runtime dependencies at all that are not at the same time buildtime dependencies. The typical *-shlibs dependencies are usually not only needed at runtime, but also at link time. And if there really are pure runtime dependencies, they will be very hard to detect.

I would like to recall the current packaging manual which states

Field: Depends
A list of packages which must be installed before this package can be built.

The proposed new policy is clearly the opposite of this, and I have yet to see what would be gained from it.