On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:07:57PM +0100, Martin Costabel wrote:
> I have 2 loosely related questions:
>
> 1. What is the status of the BuildConflicts mechanism? I seem to
> remember that some months ago this worked as intended, i.e. the
> buildonly packages in question were removed before building and
> reinstalled afterwards. There were problems when many packages were
> installed at once, but this is normal and acceptable.
>
> Recently, I tried to use this mechanism to get rid of some of those
> freetype 1 vs 2 conflicts by putting
>
>  BuildConflicts: freetype | freetype-hinting
>
> into the info file. This never worked.

As well it shouldn't (at least not as you want), by rigorous logic of
the OR operator. Just like:
  Depends: foo | bar

means something like "Depends:foo | Depends:bar", your usage means
"BC:freetype | BC:freetype-hinting". If you want to BConflicts with
*both*, you'd need an AND list.

The "Conflicts" field documentation notes:
  This fields also supports versioned dependencies like the Depends
  field, but not alternatives (wouldn't make sense).
where the term "alternatives" is defined (in the "Depends" field docs)
as the use of "|".

> 2. Is there any documentation of the buildlock system, in particular an
> explanation of how it works and what was the problem this is supposed to
> solve? Not one of the problems I had, it seems to me. From reading the
> sources, I found that there is a no_buildlocks option, and I would
> prefer this to be the default. There are even traces of a
> "Buildlock_PkgVersion" parameter in Fink::Config which "fink configure"
> and the documentation know nothing about.

This is just one of many flags and options that are for internal use
by the fink code only. Saves having to rewrite whole chunks of code.

> 3. Another undocumented config parameter is ConfFileCompatVersion.

This probably *should* be documented, since it has some meaning for
end-users.

dan

--
Daniel Macks