'almost done, no?'

Yes _ looks so. Congratulations !

From a first look, small points:

1) in gettext-emacs, the "rm %i/share" in the InstallScript leads
in the PostInstallScript to:

install/gettext-tools: byte-compiling for emacs21
cp: cannot stat `/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/gettext-tools/po-mode.el': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/gettext-tools/po-compat.el': No such file or directory

2) gettext-tools (xgettext) should depend on expat-shlibs
(plus presumably the corresponding builddeps).

3) gettext-bin should depend on libgettext3 (>= 0.14-1)

3) I don't know what to think about the superfluous dependencies on gettext-bin and gettext-tools
that you add in libgettext3-dev: presumably they are meant to simplify usage, but
- they are not there in the current version (correctly I think), so no current pkg can 'depend' (english)
on such superfluous dependencies.
- they might make switching MUCH HARDER (eg when also gettext15 comes up)

To me, anyway about any pkg builddepends on gettext-tools ("checking for msgfmt" etc);
while a small fraction wants to link with (a specific version of) libgettext3 and needs
therefore to further buildepend on (that version of) libgettext3-dev. There is no reason
a priori that it would need the same version of msgfmt etc..
We should probably rather think of the gettext-tools as commands that happen to be used in most
builds, just as so many other commands (say, sed), and treat them in the same way: completely
independently of the issue of linking with the gettext shlibs.

Best,

Jean-François