On 2005-04-18, David R. Morrison wrote:
> Hi Martin.
>
> I had been very puzzled by those missing symbol problems, so I'm glad
> you figured it out.  The timing is excellent, because we haven't pushed
> -fabi-version=1 into stable yet, or fully committed ourselves to the
> Tiger upgrade strategy which uses it.
>
> However, this discovery leaves us completely without a strategy for the
> Tiger upgrade.  The only one I can imagine at the moment is to force
> users to run gcc_select=3.3 when running under the 10.4-transitional
> tree, and later having them run gcc_select=4 when switching to the 10.4
> tree.  Not a great strategy; maybe somebody will come up with a better
> one.

  Well, here's a suggestion:
  Does -fabi-version=1 work correctly under gcc4?  Does it -actually-
generate gcc3 compatible binaries?  If so, could we set -fabi-version=1 for
gcc4 machines?
  We'd probably want to just put this in the buildscript, that would avoid
problems with SetCC and SetCXX.
  We'd put these bits before ./configure:
  test "x$CC" = "x" && export CC=gcc
  test "x$CXX" = "x" && export CXX=g++
  test `$CC --version | head -n1 | cut -d " " -f3` = "4.0" && export
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fabi-version=1"
  test `$CXX --version | head -n1 | cut -d " " -f3` = "4.0" && export
CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -fabi-version=1"

  It's quite ugly.  Probably uglier than just using gcc_select.  But it's a
suggestion.

crh