On Jul 26, 2005, at 7:47 PM, Kyle Moffett wrote:

On Jul 25, 2005, at 19:22:06, Dave Vasilevsky wrote:

     * 'fink rescan' is deprecated because nobody knows what it's for. If
    you know, tell us!

I think I remember that it used to create/update apt-get package lists for
local filesystem repositories, so that when running dselect you can see
what deb files are on the local filesystem, even if they aren't installed
at the moment.  I've been unsubscribed for a while, so I don't know what
development has happened or if the feature has been included elsewhere,
but that's what I think it used to do, and maybe still does.

That's done by 'scanpackages', now at any rate.

On a side note, does anyone know if porting "aptitude" (from Debian) has
been attempted?  I was considering trying such a port and was wondering
if anybody has made the attempt before and run into difficult or unsolvable
problems.  Personally I much prefer aptitude to deselect, even when not
using it to just install packages, because it allows one to mark packages
as "installed only due to dependency" and it will automatically remove them
when the depending package goes away or is upgraded.

;-)

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--