On 11/8/05, Trevor Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2005, at 3:21 PM, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:
>
> > The primary question isn't "Do you know how to commit to CVS?" (though
> > that's definitely an asset!), but rather "Do you know enough about
> > Fink and how it works so that the packages you commit will generally
> > be reliable?"
>
> Agreed. But how do I go about proving that I meet this description?
> It seems very subjective. (What does "generally reliable" mean?)
>
> Perhaps some kind of objective qualification should be defined. For
> instance: "Must be the maintainer of at least 5 packages and must
> have submitted at least 10 packages to the tracker that were
> successfully validated by a core developer." If a developer meets
> that description, then he or she can then request CVS access. It may
> be arbitrary, but at least it would be formally defined, and it would
> lower the barrier of entry while still being restrictive enough,
> allowing more developers to help out with commits.
>
> Here's another proposal: Open up the unstable branches to more
> developers while keeping the stable branches closed to everyone but
> core developers. (Unfortunately, this may not even be possible with
> SourceForge's CVS system.)
>
> Trevor

That was just my impression. ;-) Maybe -core has an unwritten policy about it.

If we could do it your idea would make things easier--give new
maintainers access to an "unstable" tree, make the current "unstable"
a "testing" tree (in Debianese), and still have stable.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Fink Documenter