I have created a few fink packages, but I always find it a struggle to determine what to list as Depends, and BuildDepends. Sometimes I can glean a few hints from studying the output of the build process, and sometimes a failed build is a good clue. But I am never sure to have captured everything. I used to go to the trouble to create a system with a virgin fink installation and try installing my new package there. But this is a very large PITA, and there must be a more efficient way.

I would really appreciate some advice from the "old" pros. How can a package author determine what to list as Depends, and what to list as BuildDepends?

It would be useful it the packaging documentation on the fink web site could provide some useful guidance in this area. Or, is there some info in the documentation that I have missed?

Thanks for Fink.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada