On Sep 4, 2006, at 1:40 PM, Chris Zubrzycki wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2006, at 4:30 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:
>
>> Logic then dictates that I should go even further and remove the
>> BuildDepends on libjpeg and  libpng3, as well as the runtime
>> dependencies on the corresponding shlibs.
>
> Of course, the whole point of shared libraries is that they are
> shared between applications, and only need to be loaded once into
> memory. If you use the libs supplied by each app, you might as well
>
> - -chris zubrzycki

OK - I can see that point of view, too: the philosophy of Jean-
Francois patch is not so "fink-ish". But the thing is that
ghostscript seems to be relying on "slightly patched" versions of
packages like jasper, which it compiles from its own source tree.

The "--without-jasper" solution is the more conservative one, in the
sense that it deviates least from the previous versions of the fink
package, and it makes ghostscript a better "fink citizen". However,
Jean-Francois' solution probably makes it easier to follow future
upgrades of ghostscript, especially if the included patched libraries
diverge significantly from the original ones that exist as fink
packages (just guessing here). From the README of ghostscript/jasper:
"""
This version has been modified with a few minor patches to improve
integration into Ghostscript and to better support the JPXDecode
stream filter in PDF 1.5.

It is an unofficial release and only specifically recommened by
the Ghostscript maintainers for use in building the Ghostscript
program.
"""

Jens