Benjamin Reed wrote:
[]
as far as I'm aware, on OSX the only time that the values actually get
set is the *first time*, after bootup, that you run, say:

  sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=8388608

So if you have a sysctl.conf, it will have already set them.  The line
you've commented out can't change them because they've already been set.

Yes. I just tried it again: The values from /etc/sysctl.conf are indeed the ones that are retained. The subsequent lines in /etc/rc have no effect.