How "all packages and versions" do you mean? For example, I can do

  fink list -t \*-pm\* | cut -f2,3

to get a list of the highest available version of all perlmodule
packages, or just 'cut -f2' it and feed it to

  fink dumpinfo -fpackage,allversions

to get a list of all versions of each of them present in my active
Trees. But those only get what is available "now" (stable+unstable at
last selfupdate), not what's in the binary distro nor what older
versions may have been present before (i.e., if someone hasn't
selfupdated in a while) and only sees the distro (10.4-transitional,
for example) that I am running (10.3 may have a lower version, maybe
10.4 doesn't have it at all).

The scripts that populate the MySQL database that feeds the web PDB
aren't much more sophisticated than that, actually...they just use the
lower-level perl functions that 'fink list' use under-the-hood instead
of using the 'fink' command. To get the data from the different trees
and distros, they actually rewrite the local fink.conf and dists/
symlink (and store those values in the MySQL tables along with the
package data).

dan

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:21:43PM -0600, Chris Dolan wrote:
> Is there a machine-readable list of all packages and versions
> provided by current Fink?  The data obviously exists in a database on
> pdb.finkproject.org but short of scraping HTML or fetching CVS, I
> can't figure out how to access that list.
>
> Background:
>
> There's a Perl library called Module::Packaged (http://
> search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Packaged/) which collects the versions of
> CPAN modules packaged by various OS distributions.  For example,
> given the CPAN module Archive::Any, you can learn that the current
> versions are:
>   cpan:   1.08
>   debian: 1.03
>   gentoo: 1.05
> etc.  I'm working with the author to get Fink packages added to his
> list.  My current solution is a cron-driven CVS pull and hackish
> parse of the info files in main/finkinfo/lib/perlmods/*-pm*.info and
> crypto/finkinfo/*-pm*.info.  I'd like to create a more elegant
> solution, if feasible.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> --
> Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
> 608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703
> vCard: http://www.chrisdolan.net/ChrisDolan.vcf
>
> Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
> (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
> Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)

Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]