Am 21.03.2006 um 04:08 schrieb Koen van der Drift:

Sometimes one of the core maintainers is doing a batch update of many packages. Would it be required in such a situation to contact the maintainers first? That could take many weeks in the worst case. And mostly it is a change that is not really an improvement for a particular package, but more because of an architectural change in fink.

Those batch updates usually involved adding a new field, or replacing a dependency with a new one. I don't think that the maintainers need to be notified & asked about this one-by-one.

However, a notification mail explaining the change in a generic fashion ("We replaced the dependency on package XYZ with ABC and UVW because of ...", which is sent to fink-devel (or, even better, but probably far too much work for big changes, sent to all affected maintainers), is IMO a must.

Maybe a solution could be that when the cvs message is generated to be send to the mailing list, the maintainer is CC'ed, so that at least he or she knows what has happened to her/his packages.

Bye,
Max