On 11/10/06, Charles Lepple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Paul Mitchum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 10, 2006, at 1:27 AM, "Lars Rosengreen"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > How about making the unstable tree enabled by default on new installs?
> > >

> > Or, perhaps *move packages into the stable tree on occassion.*
>
> Testing packages for stable is harder than it appears at first glance.
> If I want to move a GTK+-based package into stable, I first need to
> check that the version of GTK+ itself will not cause any problems.
> Then, it helps to actually compile in a real stable tree (so that
> stable does not lose its value due to maintainers just adding whatever
> packages they assume will work).
>
> --
> - Charles Lepple

It also helps if there is positive user feedback--especially on
packages that a maintainer doesn't use themselves.

So as a generality, a package should

1) have all of its dependencies (of appropriate versioning) in the stable tree
2) follow all other policies, e.g. the Shlibs poilicy

to go into the stable tree.

I -now- (there have been prior mis-commits) have a clean build setup
for stable, so I use that to check whether my packages build to make
sure that all the dependencies exist in stable and that it doesn't
somehow generate a bad deb file (e.g. no executable) when compilied
from scratch as is done in generating the binary distribution.

Also, maintainers without commit access need to put out requests to
move their packages to stable more often.

We've kicked around the prospects of a 3-tiered system on the IRC channel:

stable--as it has been
testing--the better packages from unstable
unstable--this might even be set up to allow commits from registered
maintainers without giving everybody full access.  These packages
would be moved to testing by someone with wide commits access once
they've been verified to pass criteria (TBD).
--
Alexander K. Hansen
Fink Documenter (still)