On Jan 12, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 1/12/07, Jack Howarth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>    I'm still unclear how we can leverage the architecture Shlibs
>> field for the multilib build of the gcc42 package. The standard
>> multilib installation for gcc is to have the shared libs installed
>> for the default architecture (32-bit for Darwin) in lib/gcc4.2/lib
>> and the secondary multilib (64-bit) libraries in a ppc64 or
>> x64_64 subdirectory (at least I am assuming that Macintel uses
>> the x64_64 subdirectory name).
>>    The problem as I see it is that we need to expand the explicit
>> list of shared libs to include the 64-bit ones in either ppc64
>> or x64_64 subdirectories. This would require some mechanism to
>> dynamically change the pathname in the Shlibs entries or some
>> case mechanism that would allow a different list to be used
>> for each architecture.
>>               Jack
>>

> Now, as I understand it, the Shlibs: field isn't actually used yet, so
> maybe it is still possible to do this, eg. a Shlibs64 field for 64-bit
> libs.

We considered that one, but the mechanism we actually implemented is
to add an extra item to each Shlibs field, which is either "32", "64"
or "32-64", to distinguish among the types of libraries.  If the item
is absent, its value defaults to 32.

This is recognized by the validator in fink-0.26.0, and documented in
the packaging manual.

   -- Dave