Hi Max

On 13.01.2007, at 08:12, Max Horn wrote:
> 3) Also, I was wondering... wouldn't it be nice to have a somewhat
> more powerful PDB? In particular, having a browse.php which allows to
> list all packages (like list.php now does), but you can impose
> restrictions:  Pick a distribution, pick a tree (stable, unstable,
> testing), choose a maintainer (free form field is sufficient,
> really), and a category, and whether you are only interested in
> binary packages or not -- or any combination of these. So it would
> combine the functionality of section.php testing.php, list.php,
> maintainer.php.
> Is anybody working on something like this? Should I file a feature
> request, and start working on it? Am I missing something fundamental?
> Is the earth a disc or a ball?

I like this idea very much and think that Fink would definitely
profit from an update of our pdb pages.

One option I am missing on your browse.php right now would be the
selection of distributions (e.g. 10.4, 10.3 etc.). Would that be
possible? For example it would then be possible to check which
packages are not in stable for only the 10.4 tree.

What I also would like: Show packages that could/should be moved to
the stable tree. The rule could be:

1)
Has the .info/.patch files of the package been changed in, say, the
last 2 weeks?

2)
Are all packages that this package depends on in the stable tree (for
that distribution)? "In stable" could mean any version that satisfy
the dependency, or, exactly the same version/revision than in the
unstable. I would suggest the latter definition, just to be sure the
package in the stable tree builds exactly as in the unstable tree.

If both conditions are met, the package could/should be moved to the
stable tree.

Could browse.php deliver this information?

Anyhow, Max, I think the addition of browse.php would be great once
it is working correctly.

Christian.