On 06 Apr 2007, at 00:08, Pascal Gourdel wrote:

>>>  Tonight, I have started to test a new english build of fink
>>>  I changed the preference of the system in order to have an
>>> english system.
>>
>> Is all this really necessary just to try a build with a different
>> localisation ??
>> I know fink is not friendly towards such variations by users; but
>> wouldn't it suffice to reset LANG and LC_ALL etc to "C" in the
>> beginning
>> of the CompileScript ?
>>
>> Jean-Francois
>>

> In fact, my try doesn't work
> Even with a new installation of fink and an
> export LANG=en_US
> in my .profile, the result is the same.
> During the week-end, I will try with a new system,
> just in order to understand.
>
> I am afraid I don't understand how  to reset LANG and LC_ALL etc to
> "C" in the beginning
> of the CompileScript.
I've no idea either _ never played with localisation (since fink
doesn't even respect LINGUAS,
which would be the only good thing). Not sure even about which ones
are the right environment
vars to use ..

But I do get:
# fgrep 'Message inimprimable' /sw/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/clisp*
Binary file /sw/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/clisp.mo matches

so it is presumably clisp that should be told to avoid "fr/
LC_MESSAGES" during the build...

my first guess would be to add in maxima's info file the lines

CompileScript: <<
export LANG=C LC_ALL=C
%{default_script}
<<