Matthew Sachs wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2007, at 15:27, Martin Costabel wrote:
>
>> I thought Apple had promised not to break "echo -n" in Leopard?
>> They did it anyway. Not in /bin/echo, but in /usr/bin/make and in
>> /bin/sh.
>> The same behavior can be seen in /bin/sh scripts where the built-in echo
>> is used. Try `sh -c "echo -n asdf"`.
>
> When you start the shell as 'sh' instead of 'bash', it uses POSIX
> compliance mode.

Or what whoever decided this thinks is POSIX compliance mode. I thought
it was established long ago that POSIX does *not* define what echo -n is
supposed to do. As it says in Apple's very own "man echo" under "-n":

  Note that this option as well as the effect of `\c' are
  implementation-defined in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'')
  as amended by Cor. 1-2002.

> Try `bash -c "echo -n asdf"`.  Shell scripts may need
> to change their #! line.

Or eliminate echo -n. Gratuitous additional porting hassle, in any case.