A strange story that I cannot explain:

I installed Leopard on a dual G5 and then bootstrapped fink-0.27.7. Then
  I installed tetex which refused to work; no fonts found at all. The
weird thing is that all 12 files
/sw/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/*/updmap/*.map have the same content, namely
two lines as follows (literally!):

=====>CAT here<=========
=====>CAT here<=========

This text seems to come from the file
fink-0.27.7/perlmod/Fink/FinkVersion.pm which has the lines

sub fink_version {
     return "=====>CAT here<=========";
}

I don't understand any of this, neither why FinkVersion.pm has this (the
bootstrap one, not the one in /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/), nor why this would
propagate into the updmap map files.

On another machine where I did basically the same things, there were no
errors in bootstrapping fink, nor in installing tetex.