Robert T Wyatt wrote:
[]
> While these messages may not have been from the same binary, they can be
> generated from the same binary as I get the identical output
> (leopard/intel/MBP after today's updates):
>
> bash-3.2$ xmms
> dlopen(/sw/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so, 2): Symbol not found: _osx_about
>    Referenced from: /sw/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so
>    Expected in: flat namespace
>
> bash-3.2$ nm -m /sw/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so|fgrep _osx_about
> 00001090 (__TEXT,__text) non-external _osx_about

Yes, I am seeing this now too. After looking some more, I see now what
is different for the libOSX.so plugin with respect to the other plugins,
for example libOSS.so. The difference is that xmms-coreaudio uses a
newer libtool version, 1.5 instead of 1.4.3, and the newer version is
more sophisticated, which is bad in this case:

The newer libtool produces a command

  nmedit -s .libs/libOSX-symbols.expsym .libs/libOSX.so

which "strips" libOSX.so and transforms all but one external symbol into
private externals. Normally this should work, because private externals
should be accessible internally in the module, but it doesn't in this case.

My educated guess is that this is a bug in Leopard's nmedit.

I suspect this because of nmedit's close relationship with
/usr/bin/strip, and that one is broken on Leopard, as the cadabra
maintainer can witness. I have filed a bug about strip at Apple's
bugreporter. (The bug is that cadabra works while not stripped, but the
stripped binary gives a bus error).

I would also try to make a small example with the nmedit bug, but I
don't know enough about dlopen and friends to construct such an example.

I am CCing this to fink-devel; maybe someone there knows about this
problem or has an idea how to further hunt this down.

A workaround would be to patch xmms-coreaudio so that it does not
execute that nmedit command.