On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 05:59:08PM +0100, Aleix Conchillo Flaqu? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any reason why the python25-socket-ssl package dependes on
> fink's openssl packages? Shouldn't it be better to depend on system
> libraries?

This would be a good change IMO, as it would mean we would not need
this package at all. If python's socket stuff used apple's openssl, it
could be in the main package instead of separately in socket-ssl.

> The question could be extrapolated to other libraries, like
> expat.

Fink often has newer versions of libraries than apple does, and
switching packages between using apple's vs fink's dependencies is
difficult at best. For this specific case, I'm assuming you're on
10.5: 10.4 does not have expat, so would need to play a lot of
compatibility games or else each OS would need entirely separate
package sets anything that used expat. The main reason many have
pushed hard to use apple's openssl is for licensing and/or US
cryptography-export-restriction reasons...fink's openssl is newer than
apple's, last I checked.

dan

--
Daniel Macks