Hi Jack
On 23.03.2008, at 21:22, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Matthias,
>   I don't know why you are surprised that no ecj1 is built.

I'm surprised that it is not build from a provided ecj.jar as that's
what's written in gcc-4.3.0/INSTALL/configure.html:

    --with-ecj-jar=filename
           This option can be used to specify the location of an
external jar file containing the Eclipse Java compiler. A specially
           modified version of this compiler is used by gcj to
parse .java source files. If this option is given, the `libjava' build
           will create and install an ecj1 executable which uses this
jar file at runtime.

           If this option is not given, but an ecj.jar file is found
in the topmost source tree at configure time, then the `libgcj'
           build will create and install ecj1, and will also install
the discovered ecj.jar into a suitable place in the install tree.

maybe 'libgcj' is not build?

> The
> build process is supposed to use ecj.jar if a pre-existing
> ecj package isn't installed...
we don't have an ecj package, do we?

> I am loath to attempt to backport too many changes
> that work in gcc 4.4 because we can't be certain all
> the required changes to support them exist in gcc 4.3.
> It might be more sensible to examine if we can create
> an ecj package for fink that gcc43 could use in its build.
For gcj to build anything, at least the script I've posted in my mail
is needed. Generating this 2 line script by gcc43.info is cheap.
building the native ecj1 is not much more effort (80 seconds on my G5)
in comparison to the anyway heavy gcc

>             Jack
> ps The existing gcc43-4.3.0-1001 package builds pdftk fine
> here using ecj.jar instead of ecj1.

wow! I'm right now fighting to get pdftk build using gcc43 with the
native ecj1.
changes so far: in pdftk/Makefile.MacOSX:
- add -fsource=1.4 -Wall-no (otherwise variables with name enum result
in an error, and try to reduce number of warnings a bit)
- add -classpath . to gcjh call (otherwise gcjh does not find
the .class file in the current directory)
- set RM = echo "don't delete: " (otherwise the class files are
deleted after the jni/cni header is generated, but some class files
are required later)