Sebastian N. Fischmeister wrote:
>> Does /sw/share/xfig/Libraries/Fasteners exist on your system?  For that
>> matter, is there anything in Libraries/ , or does it even exist?
>
> The directory is present, but it had the wrong permissions:
>
> drwxr-x---    8 root  admin   272 24 May 20:38 Fasteners

This is the explanation: Are you running xfig from a non-admin account?
Everyone else (including me) is probably using an admin account all the
time and hence doesn't see the problem.

It's a bug in the package anyway. It chmods 644 all kinds of stuff in
its install script, but apparently not this one directory.

Workaround: Either run (but you probably can't if you are on a non-admin
account)

   sudo chmod 755 /sw/share/xfig/Libraries/Fasteners

or start xfig from an admin account.