On Jul 24, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:

> [snipping rest of conversation]
>
> I actually helped the Valknut programmer w/ the Makefile so that it
> would have several targets available for OS X for different purposes.
> Valknut has the abilities to
>
> 1) make (build the binary)
> 2) make-osx-app-bundle (creates a .app w/ the executable, but it is
> non-portable with hardcoded library paths.  Useful for Fink)
> 3) make-osx-standalone-app (copies all the libraries that the
> executable
> links to so that the resulting .app bundle can de distributed to other
> macs that don't have a build environment installed)
> 4) make-osx-disk-image (creates a .dmg from the standalone .app)
>
> To answer Flavio's question, these are Valknut specific make targets.
> Other programs (both qt and non-qt based) could definitely use similar
> methods (both inside or outside their Makefiles) to create fully
> contained .apps and .dmg (probably in more efficient ways too).  The
> process is not hard, you just have to check that all non-system
> (recursively) linked libraries and resources (like pixmaps,
> translations, etc) are in the .app.
>
> Hanspeter

OK--that clarifies things.

Also, one needs to be sure sure that relative rather than absolute
install_names are used for libraries in the .app, I would assume; and
not to have hardcoded paths elsewhere, since some binaries encode
pathnames in themselves (other than where install_name_tool can
manipulate them).