On Nov 29, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Jason Turner wrote:

> Online quote retrieval seems to be broken with the basic Fink
> install of GnuCash on my system.
>
> The issue seems to be that Fink works with /sw/bin/perl5.8.6, but
> many of the gnucash scripts and executables are hard-coded to use /
> usr/bin/perl (presumably done at configure time).
>
> Workaround is:
>
> 1) make the environment variable PERL5LIB="", and unset it (not sure
> if both are necessary)
> 2) ensure that the required modules are available to /usr/bin/perl.
> In my case, I needed to install Finance::Quote, HTML::TableExtract,
> and Date::Manip.
> 3) build a shell script that does step 1 above before starting
> GnuCash.
>
> It works now.  If there's a tidier way to do this, I'd be most keen
> to hear about it.  I considered ensuring that /sw/bin on my path
> before /usr/bin, and making a symlink file of /sw/bin/perl5.8.6 to /
> sw/bin/perl, then re-running the gnucash compile and install, but
> haven't had any time since that idea.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason

Did you upgrade to system 10.5.x after installing gnucash2? There are
separate versions of the gnucash2 package for OS 10.4 and 10.5
specifically because of the perl problems. Unmodified Gnucash
hardcodes the first perl in path when it builds. Since you can change
perl installations with fink easily, it's possible to break quote
retrieval unless the packaging takes that into account.

Rather than drag in yet another large dependency, I changed the fink
builds so they would be forced to use the system perl. gnucash2.info
(the 10.4 version) depends on -pm586 versions of finance-quote and its
dependencies. gnucash2-10.5.info uses -pm588 versions. Unless you are
switching systems along the way, I don't see how you could be getting
the behavior you saw.

Dave
--
David Reiser