On Oct 24, 2008, at 12:38 AM, Jason Turner wrote:

> I just installed the gnucash binary (1.8.12-11) using fink.  It's
> the first app I've tried to install with fink (i.e. there are no
> other packages installed in /sw).
>
> System:  MacBook Pro (Intel) OS X 10.5.5
>
> From the terminal:
>

> $ uname -a
> Darwin Macintosh-2.local 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep
> 3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
>

> When I try to run gnucash from a terminal window, the X11
> application launches.  Then the terminal gives the following output
> (n.b. text in [square brackets] added by me, text after "$" is what
> I type at the command prompt)
>
> Uh, help?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason
>
> ===terminal output ends===
>
> $ gnucash
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0208.1983-0
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     KSC5601.1987-0
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     GB2312.1980-0
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0201.1976-0
>

> Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0208.1983-0
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     KSC5601.1987-0
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     GB2312.1980-0
>

> Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0201.1976-0
>
> [then I click on the pop-up which says "Please visit the GNOME
> Application Crash page for more information", and the next line
> appears]
> Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
> ===terminal output ends===
>

> --
> Package manager version: 0.27.13
> Distribution version: 0.9.0 i386
> Mac OS X version: 10.5.5
> Xcode version: 3.0
> gcc version: 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)
> make version: 3.81
> Feedback Courtesy of FinkCommander

That version of gnucash is old, and has probably fallen out of sync
with the listed dependencies.  Gnucash 2 works ; but you're going to
need a couple of updates to your Fink setup.  Running the following
two commands ought to get you to where you can install gnucash2:

fink selfupdate

--followed by--

fink selfupdate-rsync

The first "selfupdate" will get you a newer "fink" tool that is able
to use the rsync method to get source package descriptions--this was
initially turned off for 10.5.

After you've done this, you can run

fink install gnucash2

and get a more recent gnucash to use.