Koen,

Here is what I now based on my one package for which I have a qt4-x11
and qt4-mac variants (valknut).

> I do have a few questions:
>
> 1. Should the qt4-x11 and qt4-mac version be able to exist next to
> each other? If yes, I guess I need to make sure that stuff that goes
> into /sw/share/ goes in two different directories, even though their
> contetnts is the same?

At some point, qtN-mac programs needed to be inside a .app bundle for
focus to work correctly.  I don't know if that's still the case.  If it
is, I guess one of the things you'll need to consider is if you want
every single kemboss script to have it's own clickable bundle in
/sw/Applications.  If a .app bundle per program is no longer needed with
qt4-mac, then you can leave the scripts in %p/bin if you wish.  I guess
it all depends on how you want the users to interact with the qt4-mac
linked programs.  I haven't used kemboss since emboss-kaptain from like
4 years ago, so if the file layout has changed since, some of this might
no longer apply.

> 2. The poppler package starts with an Info3 field. I know about the
> Info2 field for perl, etc variants, but I am not familiar with Info3
> field - is this one designed for qt4 variants? I cannot reach the fink
> website to look at the packaging manual, the site seems to be down
> right now

Looking at the packaging reference, I don't think any of the InfoN
fields are really needed for qt4-*.  My two packages are variants within
the same info file, so it needs Info2, but nothing more.  You can see
the file here:
<http://cvs.snaggledworks.com/viewvc.cgi/fink/10.4/main/finkinfo/net/valknut.info?view=markup>

  I was able to do things this way because I worked with the developer
to include Makefile targets specifically when using qt4-mac frameworks
vs qt4-x11 libraries.  Fink's variant mechanism then made it easy to
write commands for both in the same .info file.

> 3. After I add the new kemboss-qt4.info package, what do I do with the
> old one? I added a Replace and Conflicts field in the new package -
> is that enough and can I leave the old one in the repository?

If there's no overlap in the file locations, then you don't need
Conflicts/Replaces.  If the packages have file overlap, then the old one
(kemboss.info) will also have to be modified to have Conflicts/Replaces
as well.  If the kemboss build/install setup lends itself to using
variants like I did with Valknut, then you only need to use the current
kemboss.info to which you can add Conflicts/Replaces if needed (although
Valknut does not have file overlaps).

Hanspeter