On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 06:50:42PM -0400, Daniel Johnson wrote:

> I've been cleaning the .la files in my library packages for a while now.
> I use perl -pi -e "s/dependency_libs=.*$/dependency_libs=''/" %i/
> lib/*.la in InstallScript, which just clears dependency_libs altogether.
> This is almost always safe, as long as you DON'T build static libraries.
> When linking to static libraries, dependency_libs is necessary since
> static libs don't encode where to resolve external symbols. Shared
> libraries DO encode this, so they don't need to link to indirect
> libraries. As a side benefit, You no longer need to BuildDepend on
> indirect dependencies, which makes it much easier when some dependency
> down the chain changes.
>
> So, for example, you can depend on libcurl4 or svn15 and not have to
> care about their dependencies. I can change (and have done so) their
> dependencies without breaking anything.
>
> Do note that you also need to check foo-config and/or libfoo.pc files
> for such dependencies too, and that can't easily be automated. Oh, and
> sometimes with libtool2 generated .la files you have to clean
> inherited_linker_flags too.
>
> Daniel

    Would we really be able to survive entirely without static libraries?
I would assume somethings in fink assume their presence to build. We will
likely get some complaints if we remove them as I had to add them over the
years to satisfy various users who wanted to create statically linked
binaries via fink for redistribution.
             Jack