monipol wrote:
> On 04/09/2009, at 22:41, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>> Jack Howarth wrote:
>>>  Shouldn't the Snow Leopard information on the
>>> finkproject home page be updated to tell folks
>>> if they had Xquartz > 2.3.3.2 installed on their
>>> Leopard machine that a clean installation of
>>> fink will be required after upgrading to Snow
>>> Leopard?
>> Just checking in about this. It looks like the 10.5.X/Xquartz-2.4.0
>> upgrade path is definitely hosed.  If we're 100% sure that Xquartz <=
>> 2.3.3.2 will upgrade properly, then we probably should indeed amend
>> the news item accordingly.  On the other hand, if we're not sure,
>> perhaps we should just tell anybody who's ever used Xquartz to do a
>> clean install, just in case.
>
> I second that. I’m not sure about specific versions of Xquartz, but at
> any rate we’re getting more users with problems in this 10.5/Xquartz --
>  > 10.6 upgrade path: /usr/lib/X11/libfontconfig.1.dylib has
> compatibility version 6.0.0 on 10.5.8, latest Xquartz whilst on 10.6
> its compatibility version is 5.0.0. I do believe we should have a note
> about this situation on Fink's Web site.

There are several different problems.

One is the library versions: This is *only* a problem when upgrading
from xquartz-2.4.0 to SL. The previous xquartz release 2.3.3.2 is lower
than SL's X11, which is 2.3.4. But downgrading xquartz before upgrading
to SL is not a solution. If any X11-using Fink packages were built while
xquartz-2.4.0 was installed, it is too late.

Waiting for an xquartz-2.4.x upgrade for Snow Leopard is not a solution,
either: First of all, such an upgrade is not expected before next
December, and secondly, the future xquartz upgrades for SL will be
installed somewhere else than /usr/X11. This means that they will not -
as was the main job of the xquartz upgrades until now - be useful as bug
fixes for Apple's official X11. They will only be meant for people
wanting to follow the bleeding edge in X11 development. (The last
fasentencect is not an official xquartz declaration, but it is the
logical conclusion from the currently available declarations.)

The other problem is the missing *.la files. This hits everyone
upgrading Fink to SL, even outside of X11. As I said repeatedly, FINK
MUST PROPOSE A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, otherwise the upgrade path to
10.6 is DEAD.