William G. Scott wrote:
> In my case, fink's screen works flawlessly (including sudo), and Apple's is
> problematic (hangs).  I am not using bash.  Maybe bash is not playing well
> with fink's screen...

For me, Fink's screen works on 10.4, but gives the "uid xxx does not
exist in the passwd file!" error on 10.5 and 10.6.

Some more information on the history of screen:

Apple's screen is built from the same sources as Fink's screen. On 10.4,
Apple used screen-4.0.2, and after ca 10.4.8 with a patch to bring it up
to 4.0.3. On 10.5 and 10.6, they use 4.0.3 with some additional patches.
Fink's package uses some of the patches that Apple introduced on 10.5
<http://opensource.apple.com/source/screen/screen-11/patches/>, and this
was a good idea while on 10.4. The patch for screen.c, which takes care
of the bug we are talking about is not (and, on 10.4, cannot and does
not need to be) applied, because it uses some private header that exists
only for 10.5+.

After digging all this up, I think now that the right thing to do is to
restrict screen's Distribution to 10.4.