On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:07:05AM -0400, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 3/15/10 10:58 AM, Max Horn wrote:

> >> There's nothing formal that I know about.  I think the current practice
> >> is now to update to libgettext8, when appropriate, and to have new
> >> packages use it (again, when appropriate), so that we can gradually
> >> deprecate gettext3.
> >
> > And what does "when appropriate" mean?
>
> The package builds.

And also that we aren't doing sweeps and making updates *just* for
this issue (rev-up and force rebuild to migrate), but rather when
updating packages for some other reason, "may as well also switch" at
that point.

For example, next gnome-core suite will be completely libgettext8.

> > Otherwise, I don't think it'll happen in the next couple years. For
> > example, I only noticed the existence of libgettex8 by chance. So if we
> > don't announce it to our package devs, they hardly will attempt to make the
> > transition, right? :-)

We still have a lot of packaging using the old-old "gettext" too:(
Many of those are not being carried beyond 10.5, but others... This
would be a good heuristic to check for long-abandoned packages that
might be bit-rotten or in need of a quick update for many reasons.

dan

--
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org