http://www.mail-archive.com/fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg19967.html

> ???
>> It can be done
>> but many here will find it more repulsive than having package
>> maintainers update the BuildDepends.
> Again, I don't see why ..

http://www.finkproject.org/doc/packaging/policy.php?phpLang=en#sharedlibs

The approach you describe has never been implemented before and I
wouldn't want to be the first unless the core maintainers were okay with it.
Bascially, I would have to have...

SplitOff: <<
Package: %N-bin
Files: <<
    bin
    lib
    share
<<

If folks like Daniel Macks and Martin Costabel are okay with such
a radical departure from the usual file distribution in fink packages,
I can certainly rewrite the proposed packaging in that manner.
           Jack
ps It is still unclear to me how one would manage to remove the
overlapping files from %N-bin but recreate them in %N. I assume
I would have to use PostInstScripts in both %N and %N-bin. One
to add the overlapping files as symlinks in %N and another to
remove the overlapping files from %N-bin. How exactly do I
keep these from running into each other (ie %N removing the
overlapping files that %N-bin creates). The whole approach
just feels hackish to me.