On 27 Apr 2010, at 18:50, Jack Howarth wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 06:20:41PM +0200, Jean-François Mertens wrote:
>>
>> On 27 Apr 2010, at 18:07, Jack Howarth wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 05:57:11PM +0200, Jean-François Mertens
>>> wrote:
>> I don't see why..
>>> It's sort of like using
>>> update-alternatives for manpages and info files.
>> ???
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg19967.html

If you mean to see there an argument that update-alternatives is no good
for manpages and info files, this is a blatant misquote : the reply
there is
about the misuse of update-alternatives in 2 pkgs you nknow well and had
cited as example, for files that have no relation except by accident
the same name.
If manpages or info files are "variants" (like say sed and ssed as
reminded to you by Max Horn), _ or a fortiori if they are identical
(except if 1 pkg gets updated before the other)
_ like for libffi-gcc ; or gdb-binutils _ those are exactly the examples
of proper use of update-alternatives.

But sure _ you could think of managing those symlinks via update-
alternatives _
it are just different variants say of gfortran and the like.
The reason not to do it is that update-alternatives is meant to be
used by the user
_ and this use is outside the control of fink's dependency system.
so , for manpages for instance, this is perfectly adequate, but for a
compiler,
which is an essential build-tool, this would break fink's dependency
system.

(sed and ssed are also essential build-tools, but they are
sufficiently compatible,
and the commands are used in sufficiently portable way by pkgs and
autotools
that the update-alternatives never has caused any problem as far as I
remember.)

> http://www.finkproject.org/doc/packaging/policy.php?phpLang=en#sharedlibs

And I think I know this ...

JF