On 19 Jul 2010, at 21:47, Daniel E. Macks wrote:

> According to the Packaging Manual on Distribution support:
>
> perl 5.8.6:  10.3, 10.4, 10.5
>
> which matches what I remember from previous discussions of deprecating
> old langversions. We don't support 10.3 in this tree and 10.4's
> system-perl is 5.8.6, but our perl586 package in current unstable is:

> And "some fraction" of our -pm586 module packages are also available
> on 10.6. But not all. Including not some that are dependencies of ones
> that are. Should we nuke 5.8.6 from 10.6 so we don't have to keep
> supporting such old stuff, and then fix the Distribution tags in
> -pm586, or should we go the other way and actually support it and fix
> the dep tree holes?

I've a rather extensive number of pm's installed (on 10.5), regularly
running a script that updates any -pmXYZ or perlXYZ to any later UVW
version
that is available, and then feeds to 'dpkg --purge' the list of all
installed
XYZ for which some later UVW is installed.
Recently this could remove perl586-core.

This suggest that by nuking perl586, almost all pm's would
remain available (typically in 588).

So I'd be inclined to go for that (even on 10.5 for my part !)

JF

PS: Running a similar script for all fink pkgs, I get only the
following -586 pkgs that have no -588 or -5100 counterpart :

Benjamin Reed <net-jabber...@fink.racoonfink.com>: net-jabber-pm586
Brendan Cully <bcu...@users.sourceforge.net>: shout2-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: annocpan-perldoc-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: annocpan-perldoc-
syncdb-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: cam-session-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: cam-sqlmanager-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: cam-sqlobject-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: cam-template-cache-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: cam-xml-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: cpanplus-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: net-dav-server-pm586
Chris Dolan <chrisdo...@users.sourceforge.net>: par-pm586
Daniel Macks <dma...@netspace.org>: spreadsheet-writeexcel-pm586
Dave Vasilevsky <v...@users.sourceforge.net>: svn-web-pm586
None <fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>: text-kakasi-pm586
None <fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>: xmltv586
Todai Fink Team <f...@sodan.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>: jcode-pm586
Toshiya SAITOH <tosh...@saitoh.nu>: net-amazon-pm586

Maybe you want in this case to send beforehand a note to those
maintainers
to please add if possible 588 and 5100 variants _ or that else
anybody interested should feel free to do it.
("beforehand": It might be useful, in case of trouble in adding
variants,
to still have a perl586 at hand to compare with the build there..
But most of those pkgs probably need some updating too at the same
time.)

It is best if this nuking of 586 can be done w/o loss of pkgs...