On Sep 15, 2011, at 7:05 AM, Sébastien Maret wrote:

> Le 15 sept. 2011 à 15:51, Alexander Hansen a écrit :
>
>> We probably don't want just to dump packages into stable without doing a
>> little testing to make sure they all actually work. ;-) One option would
>> be something like the following:
>

> Is this really needed? In my experience, the unstable branch contains much
> less broken packages than the stable one; this is because most maintainers
> only test (and therefore fix) packages from the unstable branch.

But there are also lots of unmaintained things in unstable, many of them very
old, so I think it would be dangerous to just dump everything to stable.  I
like Alexander's approach.

  -- Dave

P.S. In CVS, it would be fairly straightforward to remove commit authority to
the unstable branch for everyone except fink-core members, for example.