The requirement for a BDO tag in .info kicks in when a .deb has both a shared
library and a header file. Why is the shared library required? Seems like
having headers already means it's used by the compiler. It might be a
headers-only template library or other set of macros, or the library with the
headers might be static-only. In either of those cases, I think the package
would only be used as a BuildDepends (not Depends) and that it should *not* be
a Depends in order to allow swapping of different interface-versions of it. Any
objections to knocking the heuristic for "BDO required" down to *just* "header
files"?

This came up after a #fink discussion where we found that frameworks are not
flagged for requiring BDO, even though they may contain "non-libversioned"
files for use by others compiling against them. That's the situation that BDO
is designed to signify, and therefore prevent Depends deadlocks when swapping
different libversions. So, while we're working on BDO, should it also be
required when a .framework contains non-libversioned files?

dan

 --
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org